Everybody needs sleep. It’s essential that we have a good night’s sleep and everybody knows that. What everybody doesn’t know is Everybody’s sleep needs are different. According to Dr.Michael Breus, there are 4 types of sleep types and their needs are different. These types are known as Chronotypes and each type has a perfect hormonal time to sleep, eat, have sex and more.
Dr.Michael Breus, Ph.D. is known as the “Sleep Doctor” worldwide and he authored 3 best selling books all about sleep but in 3 unique ways. The Power of When is the book where he addressed these 4 chronotypes. We are providing you the essential core of the books which is chronotypes. But if you are keen to know about your sleep and more, I highly recommend you to read The Power of When. 4 chronotypes are,
- 15%-20% of the world population are lions.
- They tend to wake up early with a lot of energy and exhausted by the evening.
- Go-getters, Leaders, COOs, Managers are mostly lions because they good at asking people to do certain things and move people through a process.
- They like to prioritize health and fitness.
- The interesting part about lions is they tend to make a plan almost every day and stick to it. They make a to-do list and go one by one often.
- They go to bed very early and have difficulties with social interaction because dinner+movie or late-night parties doesn’t fit their schedule.
- 50%-55% of the world population are bears.
- They rise and fall with the sun and known as solar sleepers.
- Being a bear is the best chronotype to be according to Dr.Breus because almost everything including 9-5 work schedules is operating by the bear’s schedule.
- They get the work done and known to be extroverted and open-minded.
- Most of the bears are enjoyable and fun to be engaged with.
- Bears make a large bulk of the society and they are the glue of society.
- 15%-20% of the world population are wolves.
- Wolves have a hard time waking up in the early morning and more energetic in the evening.
- They tend to be very creative and out-of-the-box thinkers.
- Most of the wolves are social introverts but deeply loyal friends.
- They crave novelty and can be risk-takers.
- If wolves bother to make a plan, they never stick to it. Even though they don’t stick with the plan they get a lot of things done.
- Authors, musicians, and actors tend to be wolves more often
- 10% of the world population is dolphins.
- Dolphins are people who have difficulties in sleeping. Most of the dolphins have difficulties falling asleep or staying asleep.
- They are highly intelligent people and tend to be obsessive-compulsive.
- They have a very erratic sleep schedule and often diagnosed as insomnia.
- Dolphins can be fast-talking, funny and well-read people.
These are the 4 types of chronotypes and if you read carefully you may find which type are you. If you couldn’t find your chronotype or you aren’t sure, take this quiz which is provided by Dr.Breus. After the quiz, he will provide you your chronotype and tips to improve your sleep according to your chronotype
Perfect Time to wake up and go to bed
|Wake up||6:00 am||7:00 am||7:00 am||6:30 am|
|Go to bed||10:10 pm||11:10 pm||midnight||11:50 pm|
Perfect Time to Eat
|Lions||6:00 am||12:00 pm||6:00 pm|
|Bears||7:30 am||12:30 pm||7:30 pm|
|Wolves||8:00 am||1:00 pm||8:00 pm|
|Dolphins||8:00 am||12:00 pm||7:30 pm|
Caffeine Maximum Effect
|Lions||8:00 am-10:00 am||2:00 pm-4:00 pm|
|Bears||9:30 am-11:30 am||1:30 pm-3:30 pm|
|Wolves||12:00 pm-2:00 pm||no need|
|Dolphins||8:30 am-10:00 am||1:00 pm-2:00 pm|
Perfect Time to Excercise
|Bears||7:30 am or 12:30 pm|
Living according to your chronotype is the best thing that you can do to get a better sleep irrespective of your type. In the book The Power of When Dr.Breus talks about 50 activities that you can get better by choosing the right time and how different hormones affect our daily schedule. I hope you find out your chronotype and make your sleeping much more effective.
Things you should know about sleep and chronotypes
Use sleep cycles to wake up
A sleep cycle is a phase where our body wakes up and then again go for deep sleep. If you want to wake up energized you should wake up when a cycle is over. That means you wake up after 1.5 hours, 3 hours, 4.5 hours, 6 hours, 7.5 hours. It feels natural to wake up in those hours otherwise you feel terrible waking up between deep sleep cycle.
8 hours of sleep is a myth
As we learned before everybody’s sleep needs are different so you may not need 8 hours of sleep to feel refreshing in the morning. On the flip side if you are not feeling refreshed after your 6-hour sleep you may need longer.
Thre are hybrid chronotypes
You can lean more towards a lion and still be a bear or you can lean more towards a wolf and still be a bear.